Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
I spent over a week testing several different recipes at several different cooking times and temperatures to come up with this recipe. I can't have dairy, and I have friends who can't have gluten, so I know how horrible some of those allergy-free recipes can be.
I tested it in muffin tins, an 8 inch cake-round and a loaf pan just to make sure it would cook though, hold up and come out of the different pans perfectly. It did in every case!
- 1&1/2 cup flour (I like to use rice flour, but if you are also allergic to that, use a regular all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- 1 C sugar **See list at the bottom of post for 100% vegan sugars
- 1/2 C cocoa powder (use dark chocolate cocoa powder for dark choc/devil's food)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP white distilled vinegar
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 5 TBSP apple sauce
- 1TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 C chocolate chips or nuts (optional) *Use ghirardelli semi-sweet chips (they are dairy-free) or use vegan carob chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients.
2. Coat pan with olive oil or shortening and dust with cocoa powder.
3. Bake approximately 30 minutes for cake. Approximately 20-30 min for cupcakes.
*Note: fill slightly higher than you normally would. They do not expand in the oven quite as much as regular batter.
List of 100% Vegan Sugars:
- unrefined cane sugar
- evaporated cane juice
- beet sugar
- raw sugar
Link about why some sugars aren't considered vegan:
Shop Vegan Dessert Cookbooks
|My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert, $22.95|
|Have Your Cake and Vegan Too: 50 Dazzling and Delicious Cake Creations, $11.96|
|Sweet Vegan: A Collection of All Vegan, some Gluten-Free, and a Few Raw Desserts, $12.82|