My 2013 Style Essentials: Vintage, Denim, & A Lot of Studs
The fashion trends of 2012 were ironic, rebellious, and downright revolutionary. Women wore black leather in the summer and floral prints in the winter. Breakout trends like slipper loafers, knuckle-clasp clutches, and collar necklaces quickly rose to the top. I'm happy to say those trends succeeded. If you feel like you missed out on some of 2012's style trends, it's not too late. Granted we'll see a resurgence in additional trends, like 1920s vintage (thanks to Downton Abbey) and all-over denim, but the unique trends from 2012 are continuing into 2013 and will be here to stay. My personal essentials for 2013 are:
1. Blingy iphone Cover ~ there's no denying the advance of technology. It was a long, hard battle, but I'm finally willing to give up my ancient pens and note pads. To keep from missing those pretty little note pads, I'll upgrade to a studded iphone cover.
3. Denim Jacket ~ a top fashion trend for 2013 is all-over denim. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that, but I do love a great lightweight jacket for transitioning clothing during spring and fall. Throw a denim jacket over last season's maxi dress for an instant update.
4. Beaded Peter Pan Collar Necklace ~ collar necklaces are one of my favorite new trends from 2012, and I'm glad it's here to stay. A peter pan collar necklace can dress up a sweater or tee, and it can also transform the look of a blouse or dress. Luckily collar necklaces have trickled down into everyday fashion, so they're available in many stores at many price points.
5. Hard-Case Clutch ~ available in both box clutches & knuckle-clasp clutches, these trendy handbags have far surpassed the traditional opera clutch. Hard-case clutches tend to come in formal designs, but you can make them work for any occasion by getting a light-colored, studded, or patterned clutch rather than the more formal jeweled box clutches.
6. Vintage-Inspired Headpiece ~ thanks to the Masterpiece Classic hit show Downton Abbey, 1920s vintage fashion is making a major comeback. No doubt in 2013 we'll see another increase in mary jane pumps, long beaded necklaces, and ornate chandelier earrings. One of the Downton-inspired trends that is already gaining ground are the delicate headpieces, from jeweled hair combs to ornate headbands.
7. Printed Pants ~ another carry-over trend from 2012, printed pants are here to stay. From fun denim to dressy slacks, patterned pants are going to continue to dominate in 2013. Pairing a denim jacket with printed denim pants is an easy way to pull off the all-over denim look.
8. Studded Wrap Bracelet ~ wrap watches and studded wrap bracelets are everywhere, and they'll continue to be a top jewelry trend in 2013. I am obsessed with pyramid-studded wrap bracelets in particular. They're great for stacking with other thin bracelets. I already got my studded wrap bracelet for $5 at Charlotte Russe.
9. Sequined Laptop Sleeve ~ sequins and shimmer are always trendy around the holidays, but for 2013, sequined and glittered fashion will continue to shine all year. I'm looking for a new work bag now that I'm writing full-time, so I'm on the hunt for a sequin laptop sleeve.
You can keep up with more accessory trends for 2013 on my style blog The Accessorizer. Tell me, what's on your style-essentials list? Which fashion trends for 2013 are you the most excited about? How about the worst fashion trends of 2012; which accessories will you be happy to leave in the past?