The Perfect Classic White Cake
A classic white cake batter is the most essential recipe for Spring baking. You can use it as a base recipe to make all kinds of Spring cakes or cupcakes. Add in flavors like lemon, strawberry, pineapple, etc. to make your own specialty cakes for your next Spring gathering. The following recipe for classic white cake is adapted from King Arthur Flour.
*yields 24 cupcakes / two 9" round layers
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 1 2/3 cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (use vegetable oil for dairy-free option)
- 4 large eggs whites plus 1 whole large egg
- 1 cup full-fat vanilla yogurt or 1 cup whole milk (use unsweetened coconut milk for dairy-free option)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and butter and flour baking pans or line with paper baking cups.
2. Mix dry ingredients together then add the butter and mix until crumbly.
3. Add eggs one at a time and combine.
4. Combine other remaining ingredients in separate small bowl then add to the dry mix and incorporate completely, until fluffy.
5. Bake 25 to 35 min in round pans, 18-20 min for cupcakes, and 35 to 40 min for a large rectangular cake.
These classic white cupcakes are delicious as is, or you can add more flavor to both the mix and the finished product. I love to add in fresh diced strawberries for fresh strawberry muffins.
|Wilton Aluminum Performance Pans Set of 2 9-Inch Round Cake Set|
|Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan|
|Wilton White Standard Baking Cups|
|Wilton 13 Inch Angled Spatula With Black Handle|