How to Get the Gatsby-Inspired Makeup of the 1920s
The 2013 remake of The Great Gatsby is a celebration of style, from the decadent jewelry featuring the Gatsby Collection by Tiffany & Co. to the flapper girls dresses designed by Miuccia Prada. I have a feeling the hair and makeup will have an equally influential effect on current trends. The flapper girl makeup is all about drama - bold red lips and bold smoky eyes. The bold look is seen mostly in the party scenes of The Great Gatsby, while Daisy (played by Carey Mulligan) wears a softer version of the look.
The Basics of Gatsby-Inspired Makeup
Quick Tips for Applying Flapper Girl Makeup
- Start with a perfectly powdered canvas. Go for a pressed powder with a matte finish and cover up dark circles and blemishes with a yellow-toned creme concealer (not a liquid concealer).
- More is usually less, but with flapper girl makeup, more is more. As you can see in the sketch above, the look calls for bold eyes, bold lips, and rosey cheeks all at once! To tone it down, simply use a lighter lipstick and go for a more subtle smoky eye.
- For a soft, blended brow, ditch the eye brow pencil and use a dark shadow with a makeup brush.
- Some smokey eye makeup calls for smudging and blending, but for Gatsby-inspired smoky eye makeup, make a well-defined eye with liquid liner.
- Don't neglect your bottom lashes. Traditional flapper-girl makeup calls for well-defined lashes on the bottom, as well as the top.
- Use lip liner to create a cupid-bow lip to create a larger upper lip, reminiscent of the flapper girl era.
- Also specific to the era were rosey cheeks, due to a lack of range in makeup color. Pick a blush in a pink tone.
You probably already have most of these makeup essentials in your cosmetics bag. A few you can get away without using, but to create a true flapper-girl look, there are some essentials you need to use. One of the most important aspects to creating the look is the bold eye makeup. For a costume, I'd even suggest using false lashes, or go with a lengthening mascara. I just recently started using Sky Rise lengthening mascara by NYC. I cannot stress enough how much I love this mascara. It was very affordable, and it works better than any lengthening and/ or plumping mascaras I've tried. It was about $5 at Target, and it's currently $5.39 for a 2-pack on Amazon. You can purchase it online here.
For the bold lips, you can go with a plum shade if you prefer that over bright red, but you do need a matching lip liner to create the signature cupid's bow lip as seen in the tutorial.
Essential Makeup Products for the Gatsby-Inspired Look
|CoverGirl Trublend Minerals Pressed Powder, Translucent Fair 1, 0.39-Ounce|
|Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner|
|NYX Cosmetics Eye Shadow Palette 10 Color, Smokey Eyes|
|NYC Sky Rise Lengthening Mascara Extreme Black (2-pack)|
I'm excited to see the flapper girl trend continue to emerge in makeup and fashion. I'll be happy to publish a costume guide on the Halloween Blog this year.
You Might Also Like: Ten Modern Takes on The Great Gatsby Style