Pumpkin Butternut Squash Crumble Recipe
This is the perfect alternative to a traditional pumpkin pie. I've been so excited to bring you this recipe. I had a few trial runs, a few tweaks on the crust and a few times when we ate the whole pie before I could take pictures. The flavor was phenomenal.
Upon perfecting my pumpkin butternut squash crumble recipe, I also perfected my crumble crust recipe. I've been working on that for years, so I was overjoyed. It's such a great Thanksgiving dessert for beginners who want to make a homemade pie but aren't comfortable with rolling out homemade pie crust.
The first time I made this pumpkin crumble, I simply used canned pumpkin pie filling and nothing else. It was quite delicious like that, so it's perfect if you need an easy, last-minute pie for Thanksgiving or Christmas, particularly without dairy or eggs. Though I do like how adding the egg yokes gives the filling a richer, creamy texture, as does the butternut squash soup. If you want to omit the butternut squash flavor, you can simply leave out the soup, or you can add in some heavy cream. (I would try about a cup of cream in place of the 1 & 1/2 cup butternut squash soup.)
- one 30 oz can easy pumpkin pie mix
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 & 1/2 cup creamy butternut squash soup (use Pacific Organic brand for dairy-free option)
- 2 & 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 cup melted shortening or butter
- 1 tsp salt
- one cup packed light brown sugar
- dash nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Stir together filling and pour into a deep dish 12 inch pie pan (pictured above) or two small 8 inch pie pans (or a rectangular baking dish approximately 11 by 9 inches)
2. Combine all dry ingredients for crumble crust in a medium bowl.
3. Melt butter or shortening and stir it into the dry mix. Use a fork to gently mix it in until it is crumbly (see photo). Spread it evenly over pie filling.
4. Bake at 375 for 60 min to an hour and ten minutes or until crust is thoroughly dark golden brown.
More Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes
- 25 Quick and Easy Pumpkin-Flavored Desserts
- Easy Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle In A Jar
- The Best Prepackaged Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix featuring Betty Crocker