Easy Cranberry Spice Tea Cake
Warning: Boxed cake mix is an "ingredient" in this recipe. That is in part what makes it easy. Get it? Though if you want to make it 100% from scratch, start with a classic spice cake recipe. If you're also the type to turn your nose up at canned cranberry sauce, here is a recipe for jellied cranberry sauce from scratch.
- 1 pkg. moist spice-cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c milk (substitute with orange juice to make an orange cranberry cake)
- 1/3 c veg oil or melted butter
- 1 can (1 lb.) Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional) *I love the spices to shine through. After adding the cranberries, I found that the cake needed a little more cinnamon to my taste.
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
Prepare the boxed cake mix according to directions then add in the cranberry sauce and extra cinnamon and nutmeg until thoroughly combined, and gently fold in the fresh cranberries. *If making the cake from scratch, add the cranberry sauce to the wet mixture before combining with dry ingredients, and gently fold in cranberries after all other ingredients have been combined.
Bake at 350 (cupcakes - about 20-25 min, loaf pan 40-45 min). I made mine in loaf pans to make a tea cake and topped it of with cream cheese frosting. Garnish with fresh sage leaves and cranberries.
*Note: The extra liquid from the cranberry sauce, which makes this cake so moist, unfortunately also makes this cake mix sink a little during baking rather than baking up, so this recipe is NOT recommended for making a layer cake. I'll be posting a recipe for a cranberry layer cake soon, but to make the easy version for layering (or if you want big, beautiful muffins), simply omit the cranberry sauce.