Banana Creme Tart
Okay, I'm not gonna lie here. This turned into a tart solely because I had an epic fail at blind baking. I was out of parchment paper and dried beans and tried to get away with using an aluminum baking round filled with rice. Though I ended up with the perfect tart crust! I did end up with extra cream and pudding, so if you'd rather make it as a pie, this recipe will work just fine for that as well.
Though if you don't need this dairy-free, I still suggest using the coconut cream for the whipped cream and banana pudding. It's just so, so yummy!
2 ripe bananas + 2 more for the dairy-free banana creme pudding
3 - 13.5 oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk (I like this kind)
1 cup powdered sugar
one 9" pie crust - store bought or recipe here
nutmeg garnish optional
1. Prebake the pie crust and let cool. (Start working on the whipped cream while the crust is baking.)
2. Scoop out the thick part of the coconut milk out of the top of each can and place in a small glass bowl or your mixer. Fold in the powdered sugar and beat on high for a few minutes or until you can form a peak with the cream. It should resemble fluffy, smooth whipped cream. *It will thicken further upon refrigeration!
3. After making coconut whipped creme, combine 2 cups of it with 2 ripe mashed bananas to make the pudding. Chill the pudding and cream in the fridge.
4. After the crust has cooled, slice the other two bananas into thin slices about 1/2 an inch thick each and place in a single layer covering the bottom of the pie crust.
5. Use a rubber spatula to spread an even layer of the pudding over the banana slices, then top with the whipped creme. Use sweeping figure 8 motions with a rubber spatula or butter knife to make those pretty waves on top. Optional: sprinkle the top with ground nutmeg.
More Dairy-Free Dessert Recipes