Baked Wonton Cups Filled with Avocado Salad
I've been dying to make something with egg roll wrappers for a long time. I've already experimented with phyllo dough and puff pastry, and I love how versatile those are for entertaining, especially when it comes to appetizers. For entertaining, it's so important to have a few things you can prep ahead of time.
I like to have pre-baked pastry shells or hollowed out veggies that I can fill at the last minute. These wonton salad cups on the other hand are so quick and easy, I made them in under 20 minutes from start to finish. I filled mine with my favorite avocado and tomato salad, though you could fill them with so many other things. For an even quicker appetizer, fill them with pre-made items like guacamole and chilled precooked shrimp or re-fried beans with cheese and sour cream. You could even fill them with pudding and fruit for a single-serve dessert.
*makes 12 salad cups
- 12 egg roll wrappers (find them in the produce aisle near the tofu)
- 2 avocados
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 sweet bell pepper (I used a mix of mini yellow and orange sweet peppers)
- 2 tbs olive oil plus more for coating wonton wrappers
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F and coat a 12-cup muffin tin with olive or vegetable oil.
2. Get out your 12 egg roll wraps and before you place each one into the muffin tin, brush oil onto the top side. (Place in the pan with the other side down.) You do have to play around with it a bit. You want to fold it over and press it down in places to make it fit in as much as possible. *See photos. But it's extremely easy to work with compared to rice paper or phyllo dough, so don't be intimidated.
The package instructs to bake them at 400 for 10-12 minutes, but mine were quite done at 8 minutes. The bottoms looked like they might've been under-cooked, but they came out just as crispy as the browned part. Though next time I may try them at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Maybe my new oven runs a bit hot.
3. Prep your avocado and tomato. Chop them and place in a medium bowl. Dice the pepper and toss it in with 2 tbs olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste, and give it a good stir.
4. Once your shells have cooled, place them on a serving plate and fill each with salad. Sprinkle on extra salt and pepper once the shells are filled and enjoy!
For more inspiration on what you can cook with egg roll wrappers, check out this Pinterest board full of wonton cup recipes and more.
You Might Also Like