Trending: Grown-Up Grays for Fall
Gray is a standard neutral for fall and winter, but for fall 2014, it's a huge trend. It was seen all over the fall runways in collections by Karl Lagerfeld, Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren and many more. It's especially in style when it comes to office attire and dressy-casual pieces. The light heather gray pictured above was incredibly popular a few years ago, and while this season the softer shade of gray is at the forefront, darker shades in charcoal and slate are also widely available in stores this season.
Pictured Above: Anthropologie Icehouse Pullover Sweater in Gray
Pictured Above: 1. Miss Selfridge Grey Marl blazer 2. Atmos&Here Alaska Wool & Silk Blend Scarf in gray 3. Anthropologie Dolan Heathered Column Dress 4. Accessorize Berkhamstead Satchel in gray 5. Express Contrast Trim Columnist Ankle Pant in gray 6. Mojo Moxy pointy toe gray stiletto 7.Nine West Scout Peep Toe Pumps in gray
Tips on How to Wear Gray this Fall
- A safe bet is to pair it with neutrals like black and white.
- You can also pair gray with tan or brown accessories. A light gray top with white pants actually looks great with brown!
- Layer a gray moto jacket over a black-and-white printed summer dress to transition it into fall.
- Bright colors are also on trend for fall 2014. Pair dark grey trousers or a pencil skirt with a bold-colored blouse (see picture below). Try colors like hot pink, aqua, orange, or yellow. Related: How to Wear Grey with Orange
- Pair charcoal gray with deep shades of purple or cobalt.
- For 2014, go for grey pieces that are sleek and elegant, like straight-leg trousers or grey pointed toe pumps.
- Grey looks best with silver-tone jewelry, but don't be afraid to pair it with gold.
- You can pair grey with gold if you add on burgundy or taupe accessories. This looks best with luxurious grey knits, like a grey cashmere sweater.
- Try going monochrome, with different shades of grey from head to toe. You can add a bit of color in your accessories, or break up the look with varying textures.
- When it comes to color, grey goes very well with rich fall shades like burgundy or plum.
- If you're wearing a modern grey dress, pair it with black and white accessories (see picture below).
- To add on a neutral print, black and white snakeskin print goes very well with grey.
- Use a heather-gray pump as your neutral. For example if you have a dress you'd normally wear nude pumps with, swap them out for a very pale gray pair of heels.
Pictured Above: H M pink sleeveless blouse, $13 / Floral print crop top, $25 / Miss Selfridge grey blazer / Banana Republic gray wool skirt / Schutz flower print pumps
Pictured Above: Moth pullover top / Vince Camuto Grey Suede Booties / MBaoBao leather handbag / Mango cuff bracelet / Charlotte Russe rhinestone earrings
More Fall Fashion Trends for 2014