5 Dressy Casual Looks for the Holidays
Thankfully not each holiday event calls for a cocktail dress and heels. Most call for dressy-casual attire. As a rule of thumb, dressy casual looks should avoid denim or sneakers. (Of course there is plenty of wiggle room to that rule if you're hanging out with family and friends.) You can go with a dress or nice blouse and trousers, but you can also dress up a typically casual outfit, for example pair an embellished top or sweater with black skinnies and nice jewelry. Here are five fool-proof combos for a casual dressy holiday outfit.
1. SWEATER DRESS + ANKLE BOOTS - A comfy sweater dress is perfect for a holiday dinner. It looks nice but gives you plenty of room, you won't miss your stretchy pants one bit. Pair it with leggings and sleek ankle boots. Pictured: Anthopologie Grenalda Cowlneck Knit Dress
2. EMBELLISHED TANK + TROUSERS - An embellished tank or blouse is a must for the holidays. You can dress it up with a skirt and pumps, or dress it down with trousers and flats. Layer it with a black blazer to go from the office to an event. Pictured: Anthropologie Golden Flowervine Tank
3. SHIRTDRESS + KNEE-HIGH BOOTS - If you live in a place that has fairly mild weather even into the holidays, a printed shirt dress is perfect for a dressy casual look. Pair it with brown knee-high boots, and if you need to dress it up more, go for high-heel boots and a some statement jewelry. Pictured: Anthropologie Perenne Shirtdress
4. CHUNKY SWEATER + BLACK SKINNIES - Black skinnies are my favorite way to dress up when I'm not quite sure how everyone else will be dressed. It's casual enough to fit in if some guests show up in jeans, yet if everyone sticks to the casual dressy code, it's nice enough to blend in as if I were wearing trousers. For the holidays, add some texture with a pair of these leather-looking coated skinnies. Pictured: Anthropologie Hadley Pointelle Tunic
5. COCKTAIL DRESS + COZY CARDIGAN - Some women (myself included) have plenty of casual wear, a few special-occasion cocktail dresses, and little in between. If this is you, dress down one of your cocktail dresses with a long, cozy cardigan and keep the jewelry to a minimum. Pictured: Anthropologie Anais Cardigan