Molasses Snickerdoodle Cookies
I love traditional cookies during the holidays - sugar cookies, gingerbread men, snowball cookies. But last year I wound up with an extra bit of molasses. As I made one of my favorite cookies of all, the snickerdoodle, I thought why not? Like most of my what-the-hell experimental recipes, this one turned out so, so yummy and I'm already wanting to make more!
- 2 & 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened (or shortening)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 2 tbs ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, and spices in a separate bowl and give it a quick stir with a whisk.
- Cream butter (or shortening) with the sugar. Add in the vanilla, eggs, and molasses.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Combine your cinnamon sugar topping in a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into small 1" balls and roll into the cinnamon sugar. Bake on an un-greased baking sheet for about ten minutes.