Find the One - Your Perfect Shade of Red Lipstick
If you've never tried a bold red lip, now is the perfect time, especially if you have a hot date lined up. A lot of women are intimidated by wearing red lipstick (myself included), but it's all about finding the right shade based on your skin tone and your undertones. I've hear a lot of women say, "I just can't pull off red lips." Though anyone can wear red lipstick if it's the right shade.
Red lipstick is like the finding the right man. If you haven't found the right one for you, just keep on looking. It's out there! You just have to know what you're looking for.
To find the best makeup shades for your face, you first have to determine your skin's undertone. Your undertone can range from cool to neutral to warm whether you have fair, medium, or dark skin. Though naturally tan people do tend to have warmer undertones, while women with fair skin tend to have cool undertones. But that is not always the case. I have tan olive skin, yet I have neutral undertones that are slightly on the cool side. I'd previously assumed I had warm undertones simply because I'm always tan. Now I know why I could never seem to find the right shade of red lipstick. Here is a great article on how to determine your skin's undertone.
The safest bet if you have trouble with red lipstick is to go with a neutral true red. These are often labeled with words like "classic" or "rich red". A classic red lipstick is going to have blue undertones, so it's perfect for someone with cool-toned skin that is on the fairer side. The Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Creme in Love That Red 725 is a great classic red with a ton of 4 and 5 star reviews (mostly 5-star). It also has several pictures in the listing that show how it looks on different skin types. A classic red lipstick is also great if you want a versatile shade that you can either dab on lightly for daytime or apply several layers for a night out
A lot of red lipstick guides vary by both undertones and from fair to dark skin, but really, even if you have very fair or very dark skin, you can pull of a bold shade as long as it matches with your skin's undertone. Though for the most part there are shades of red that look better on fair vs. dark skin and vice versa.
- Cool Undertones with Fair Skin - a lighter red lipstick with berry tones, like the Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick Red Alert or a classic red with cool tones.
- Cool Undertones with Medium to Tan Skin - a rich classic red with slightly blue or purple undertones like the MAC Matte lipstick in Russian Red or the NYX Matte Lipstick MLS10 - Perfect Red
- Cool Undertones with Dark to Very Dark Skin - a dark purplish red like NYX Matte Lipstick MLS16 - Merlot (Plum Red) Long Lasting Lipsticks or a very dark vampy wine red like this Black Radiance Perfect Tone Lip Color 5033 Midnight Glow (one of my personal favorites!)
- Warm Undertones with Fair Skin - a lighter red with coral or peach tones like the Maybelline New York ColorSensational Lipcolor (in "coral crush") or a warm classic red like this NYX Matte Lipstick MLS08 - Pure Red (Bright Red-Orange) Long Lasting Lipsticks
- Warm Undertones with Medium to Tan Skin - a rich classic red with slightly brown tones like the Maybelline New York ColorSensational Lipcolor, Red Revival 645 or a classic red with slightly orange undertones, like the e.l.f. Studio Moisturizing Lipstick 82640 Red Carpet
- Warm Undertones with Dark to Very Dark Skin - a dark red wine shade with warm tones like Lotus Pure Organic Lipstick Port Wine
- Fair to Medium with Cool or Warm Undertones - all of these can go with a classic red
I hope this helps you find that perfect red lip! Start with a more affordable brand like e.l.f. Studio or Revlon until you're more comfortable with picking out your lipstick colors. If you're still stumped or want something a little more subtle, go with a red tinted balm or gloss, or lightly apply a red lip stain and top with clear lip gloss.
Images via: Miranda Kerr for Glamour February 2015 "Love Your Lips" feature via Alique / Glamour / Charlotte Tilbury lipstick via Net-a-Porter
You Might Also Like
- A Simple Glam Makeup Tutorial with e.l.f. Cosmetics
- Marsala Makeup & How to Wear the Trend
- The Long Bob - The Hottest Haircut Trend for 2015
See More Posts on Beauty >