How I Stay Motivated for My Workouts
I'm not gonna lie; since I made my recent move to a new state, it's been hard to get back into my work routine and especially my exercise routine. I feel like I've just gotten back on my weekly work schedule. But getting back into my workout routine, while challenging, is nothing I can't handle. Since I've become generally committed to my health over the last few years, I've developed a few habits that always help me get back on track and stay motivated.
I've talked about this on the blog before - about motivation being the key to lasting fitness. We all know what we need to do to stay healthy, but it's easier said than done when we're tired or stressed or find ourselves surrounded by pumpkin-flavored carbs at the grocery store. I find that having specific tools for different situations in life can greatly affect motivation. Over time these tools become habits whenever we need them the most.
As I've started to workout again here and there, I've realized I need to whip myself into gear again with my eating habits. It's always so tempting to go for the fast food or processed food, especially whenever I'm busy. But I know that especially when I'm busy, I need to eat nutrient-rich foods so I'll have enough energy to work out and to feel my best.
A few healthy fresh foods are always on my list whenever I want to stay motivated to workout. Things like eggs, fresh fruit and veggies, and not-so-guilty snacks like flavored rice cakes are among my favorites. I try to schedule my workouts before a meal, so I can fill up on protein just after my workouts. If I'm a bit hungry pre-workout, I'll have a piece of fruit with a little protein and some healthy fat. I actually like to take a little teaspoon of coconut oil with a glass of milk, and I pair it with an apple or banana about 30 minutes to an hour before my workout.
My Favorite Post-Workout Meals
My Favorite Post-Workout Meals
- tuna with fresh greens and sweet baby peppers with a side of fruit
- scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach, tomato, and green onions
- a protein shake blended with a banana and frozen spinach (the banana makes it creamier, and the spinach add more nutrients)
Staying motivated for fitness has to happen throughout the day for me. That really helps me to avoid the temptation to blow off a workout or have extra sweets. I purposely surround myself with motivation - with my weights, my outfit, even fitness magazines.
Ways I Keep My Focus on Fitness All Day Long
- Unless I have to be somewhere early in the day, I put on my workout outfit and sneakers first thing to get my mind on being active.
- I keep my fitness magazines out where I can see them.
- I use the LoseIt app to keep my calories in check.
- I try to schedule my workouts earlier in the day before I get worn out from work and would be more apt to skip my workout.
- I move whenever I can, whether it's extra steps in a parking lot or even doing squats while I'm waiting on my coffee. It's easy to get stiff and tired when I'm at my computer all day, but adding in a little extra movement here and there any chance I get gives me more energy.
To stay motivated on a weekly basis, I switch up my routines to include some outdoor activities like walking. Breathing in fresh air while listening to music is so refreshing that it doesn't make my workout out feel like a chore.
What are some of the ways you like to stay motivated?
You Might Also Like