Skinny-ish Chicken Enchiladas
I made these for Ken, and am happy to say that he liked them a lot. As much as I've cooked, this was actually my first time to make enchiladas, so I was a bit nervous. But they turned out great, and I definitely plan to make them again.
And yes, I called them skinny(ish)...I mean, they are still enchiladas after all. But they don't have any cheese or sour cream, and believe me; they are still full of flavor. I've learned over years of battling food cravings and weight fluctuations that one of the tricks to eating healthy long term is to figure out how to have the dishes you love made with healthier recipes.
I'm a bit obsessed with Hormel's white chicken chili, and every time I've eaten it recently, I've thought, this would make a great base sauce for easy enchiladas. I'm happy to say I was right.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- two 15oz cans white chicken chili (one for the filling)
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- mild salsa
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- jalapeno slices (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Faranheit.
2. In a large bowl combine one can of the chili, the shredded chicken, fiesta lime seasoning, and garlic powder.
3. Spread one half of the remaining can of chili into the bottom of a large casserole dish.
4. Fill each tortilla with the chicken filling and roll up, then place them each in the baking dish.
5. Spread the remaining chili and any remaining filling on top and spread evenly. Then generously drizzle salsa over the top. (I used mild, and it was perfect, as there was plenty of spice in the filling mixture, as well as the jalapenos on top.)
6. Top with jalapeno slices (optional). And sprinkle some additional fiesta lime seasoning over the top.
And yes, of course...by all means, if you aren't trying to eat healthier or simply love cheese (who doesn't) go ahead and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top, though I assure you, it tastes amazing without it.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Please let me know if you try it! I'd love to know what you think of the recipe or if you have any questions. Share yours on Instagram and let me know you used it by tagging me with the hashtag #krisztinacliftonrecipe Thanks!!
You Might Also Like